Thursday, April 25, 2013

An Attempt at Pastrami

I have a 13 pound brisket swimming in a nitrite enhanced brine. With the help of my SIL (a Bolner who grew up in a full service butcher shop), I separated the point from the flat. And then put together the dry ingredients.


Then I threw them in the pool, where they have been soaking since Sunday.

The point will be corned beef. The flat will be further processed into pastrami...another three to four day wait time. I don't have a lot of patience. But on this on single thing, I am out to prove that The Granary's concept of pastrami is wildly off base, and is just another misguided hipster attempt at relevance.

I'm only four days into this experiment, with at least another ten day's worth of anticipation. But I'm keeping copious notes.

[i should add that i am adept at wet and dry brining, as well as smoking a variety of brined flesh, including salmon and trout]

No comments: