Monday, May 13, 2013

My Pastrami Experiment

h/t to @ribguy at http://j.mp/YFSZVe


I read so much about @TheGranarySA's pastrami. I tried it. Their pastrami was a pure #fail. Whole coriander seeds and peppercorns and mustard seeds left on the brisket. Who does that?

So I made my own (in pictures):


brine ingredients. 


the 13# brisket, separated into point and flat. 16 days for flat, 19 for point. 


de-brined flat for two days, changing water between days; patted dry then applied pastrami dry rub for two days.


then smoked it at 200 for 12 hours. then put in fridge for 12 hours. then steamed for 3 hours. let sit for 3 hours in steamer pot off heat with lid on. then carved.


pastrami up front, corned beef in back. 


this half flat gets wrapped, vacuum sealed and frozen for a future steam bath.

the pastrami and corned beef were amazing. if i can replicate this experiment, i will start a pastrami consulting firm.

No comments: