Friday, March 7, 2014

Josephine Street Café Wilted Salad Recipe

“This recipe calls for a 'great big bowl' and means probably the biggest you have,” says recipe tester Jennifer Rodriguez. “I started with a large bowl and quickly filled it with half a head of lettuce so I moved to a larger bowl and had room to add the tomatoes but no room for dressing or tossing. So I moved to my largest Tupperware bowl and had the space to give it a good toss. It immediately wilted enough to barely fit in the large bowl I started with, which was prettier and which I used because I was taking the salad to share with friends. By the time I got to the gathering, the salad had wilted to half the container's size. My friends loved it and my husband ate the leftovers the next day. Because it uses iceberg lettuce, it maintains a bit of crunch after it's wilted, which is refreshing. The salad I tested is 1/8th of the recipe the restaurant uses; I can't imagine the size of bowl needed there.”
1 large head iceberg lettuce, torn into 11/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sliced pimento-stuffed olives
1 1/2 tablespoons olive juice (from olive jar)
1/4 cup salad oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Scant 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic

No comments: