Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Only F-4G Loss in Gulf War I


"Sounds a lot like the F-4G that ended up in the drink following fuel starvation. Given that there was only one F-4G loss, you may want to check that it's not the same incident, Brick. 
My info ("Gulf Air War Debrief", Aerospace Publishing) says it was: 19 Jan; 81st TFS, 52nd TFW; pilot Capt. Tim Burke. Punched-out on fifth landing attempt when one engine seized due fuel starvation (at odds with Luftig's story). It was later found that one of the bags had been punctured by an AK round, and the loss was classified as a 'hostile loss'.
Ewan,
I admit I didn't reference any publications. I believe you and your source are correct. I only recollect the story as told to me by the GIB who rode the silk down following the ejection. I'm embarrassed I can't recall his name. I had this conversation back around 1995-6ish at Ramstein AB. It was definitely an F-4G. He did mention that they made several attempts to land but with no luck due to the sandstorm. I don't recall his pilot's name or any mention of punctured bags by AK-47 rounds."

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-241882.html

He didn't end up in the drink. But that they both walked away from this is still amazing. I launched this guy many times, both in the 21st TFTS and 81st TFS and then the 35th TFW(P) during Desert Shield/Storm. This is what he's done since:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/timothy-burke/21/b78/82

No comments: